E7018 welding electrode is defined as a low hydrogen iron powder electrode with basic flux coating. E7018 welding rod is suitable for welding heavy structures, high strength jobs where sub-zero impact properties are required. The basic flux coating ensures defect-free high-quality welds in addition to enhancing the mechanical properties. The presence of iron powder in the coating increases the recovery rate which consequently increases the deposition rate and makes welding faster.
What is the meaning of AWS A5.1 E7018 & E7018-1?
E7018 is the designation of low hydrogen iron powder electrode as per the American welding society standard specification AWS SFA-5.1” SPECIFICATION FOR CARBON STEEL ELECTRODES FOR SHIELDED METAL ARC WELDING “and each part of the designation stands for certain information as follow:
- E: stands for electrode
- 70: stands for the minimum ultimate tensile strength of the produced weld metal expressed in Kpsi (70,000 psi).
- 1: refers that this electrode can be used in welding in all position: Flat, Horizontal, Vertical up and overhead positions.
- 8: refers to that this electrode is low hydrogen one with basic flux coating in addition to the usability as this electrode can be used with AC/DC (+) polarity.
- -1: indicates that this electrode meets the requirements for improved toughness and ductility that is why this electrode can be used for sub-zero applications.
There are other optional supplementary designators that may be used E7018-1 H4-R which refers to certain information as follows:
- H4: refers to that the produced welds by using this electrode produces welds with limited H2 content not exceeding 4 ml per 100 grams of weld metal.
- R: refers to that the electrode meets the requirements of the absorbed moisture test after exposure (in this case, the electrode meets 0.4% moisture by weight after exposure).
What is E7018 welding rod used for?
7018 welding rod is called an all-purpose electrode and is characterized by the following features:
- Ease of use.
- Excellent control.
- Superior welding performance.
- Enhanced mechanical properties specially toughness and impact.
- Out of position welding.
- Deep penetration arc.
- High quality of produced welds.
- Ease of cleaning up joints after welding.
That is why this electrode is used in many applications requiring such features as follows:
- Steel structures fabrication and erection.
- Piping work in construction of new projects including refinery plants, power plants, water treatment plants, petrochemical plants, etc.
- Pressure vessels fabrication and erection.
- Tanks fabrication and erection.
- Automotive industries.
- Repair and maintenance work.
- Fabrication of agricultural equipment.
- Channels and tubes fabrication.
- Carbon steel plate works.
E7018 welding rod common sizes and prices
This welding electrode is manufactured with different sizes of diameter and length as follows:
|Dimension (mm)||Current (Amp)||Economics|
|Ø x Length||Min||Max||W||η||N||B||H||T||U||Price Range $/Kg|
|2.5 * 350||70||110||2.5||129||0.67||65||0.96||57||24||1.1-1.5$|
|3.2 * 350||90||140||4.7||124||0.7||42||1.24||68||23||1.1-1.5$|
|3.2 * 450||90||140||4.7||124||0.73||31||1.33||85||23||1.1-1.5$|
|4.0 * 350||120||190||5.5||118||0.70||29||0.63||75||24||1.1-1.5$|
|4.0 * 450||120||190||7.0||118||0.71||22||1.76||92||24||1.1-1.5$|
|5.0 * 450||190||260||10.6||119||0.75||13||2.61||99||24||1.1-1.5$|
|6.0 * 450||220||340||14.6||120||0.80||9||3.88||97||26||1.1-1.5$|
- W: weight (kg/100 electrode).
- η: efficiency (gram weld metal *100/gram core wire).
- N: effective value (kg weld metal/kg electrode).
- B: changes (number of electrodes/kg weld metal).
- H: deposit rate at 90% of max current (kg weld metal / arc time).
- T: fusion time at 90% of max current (s/electrode).
- U: arc voltage (V).
What is the difference between E7018 and E6013?
There are many differences between E6013 and E7018 which are summarized in the following table:
|Coating type||--||High titania potassium||Low hydrogen potassium Iron powder|
|Welding Parameters||--||AC/DC (-) & DC (+)||AC/DC (+)|
|Mechanical properties||Strength UTS, Ksi||60 Ksi Min.||70 Ksi Min.|
|Yield Strength, Ksi||48 Ksi Min.||58 Ksi Min.|
|Elongation (in 2 inches)||17 %||22 %|
|Impact toughness||NA||27 Joule @ -30°C & 27 Joule for E7018-1 @ -45°C|
|Usage||uses||Suitable for welding thin steel sheets||Suitable for thick sections and serious applications|
|Applications||General purpose electrode: maintenance and repair work, metallic Furnitures, etc.||More serious applications electrode: piping work, pressure vessels, steel structures, etc.|
|Penetration||Characterized by shallow penetration||Characterized by deep penetration|
7018 Welding Electrode Manufacturer & Supplier
ATLANTIC CHINA WELDING CONSUMABLES, INC. has specialized in manufacturing welding consumables for more than 70 years. In terms of global scale and diversity, ATLANTIC operates manufacturing plants in China, and Vietnam along with branches located in the UAE, Egypt, Saudi Arabia, Nigeria, and Turkey. With a professional team and advanced equipment, ATLANTIC is one of the top 7018 welding rod manufacturers and suppliers in the world, feel free to contact us to get the best e7018 welding rods quotation.