ER5356 Welding Wire for Aluminum (CHM-Al 5356)
ER5356 is a common aluminum alloy MIG wire. The 5356 filler rod is widely used for welding or surfacing structures of wrought aluminum alloy or cast aluminum alloy that contains 5% magnesium (Mg), such as bicycles, sports apparatus, locomotives & carriages, motor vehicles, ships as well as pressure vessels of chemical industry, aviation industry, armament and so on. The weld metal has good corrosion resistance and forgeability of it is good. Its weld metal is suitable for anodizing of electrical applications to provide a good color match.
Welding Position: F, HF, V
Type of Current: DCEP
- Keeping the package of the wire in good condition before welding.
- Both the surfaces to be welded of weldment and wire must be cleaned away impurities of oil contamination, oxide coating, moisture and so on.
- To obtain a good appearance of weld it is necessary to preheat the base metal to 100℃-200℃ before welding if its thickness is 10mm or more.
- It is better to put a subplate under the weld zone to prop the melted metal so that to ensure complete penetration the weldment.
- According to welding position and the thickness of base meatl different shield gas should be chosen, such as 100%Ar, 75%Ar+25%He, 50%Ar+50%He, etc.
- The welding conditions mentioned above for reference only and it is better to do a welding procedure qualification according to project before put it into formal welding.
ER5356 Chemical Composition of Deposited Metal (%)
Mechanical Properties of Deposited Metal (AW, Typical)
|Tensile Strength Rm (MPa)||Yield Strength|
Sizes & Recommended Current (MIG DC+)
|ER5356 Welding Wire Diameter (mm)||1.2||1.6||2.0|
|Welding Current (A)||180-300||200-400||240-450|
|Welding Voltage (V)||18-28||20-20||22-34|
Sizes & Recommended Current (TIG AC)
|ER5356 Welding Wire Diameter (mm)||1.6-2.5||2.5-4.0||4.0-5.0|
|Welding Current (A)||150-250||200-320||220-400|